Skip to content


Frequently asked questions by exchange students

How do I apply for exchange studies at FME?

Following the link below you will find all the necessary information regarding application, requirements and enrollment at the FME.


Do I need to speak Catalan/Spanish if I want to study at FME?

No. The faculty offers some courses in English that you can take, however the range of courses that you will be able to choose from will be much wider if you can attend Catalan or Spanish lectures. If you want to take part in courses imparted in Catalan or Spanish we suggest that you have a B1 level or above in that language according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

You will find more detailed information about the available English courses in the following link:


When does the semester start and finish?

Generally the autumn semester starts at the beginning of September and finishes in December. During January the final exams take place. The spring semester starts in the middle of February and ends in May. The final exams of the semester take place in June. There are extraordinary exam dates in July for those who fail or cannot attend the ordinary call. Nevertheless, these exams are only available for some of the courses in the Bachelor's degree in Mathematics. You can find this information in the course syllabus. The Master courses do not offer extraordinary exam dates. Find the details for each academic year in the link below:

In addition, following the link below you will find the exams calendar for the current academic year:

These pages are currently only available in Catalan and Spanish. You can open them with Google Chrome and get a translated version by using the Google Translator extension.

Does the university offer language courses?

Yes. UPC has its own Language and Terminology Service which offers a great variety of courses on Catalan, Spanish, English and more languages. Find more information following the link below:

Does the university have its own sports service?

Yes. There are various sports facilities distributed among the UPC campuses and a central UPC Sports Service which offers a wide range of activities and competitions. You will find all the information in the following link:

This page is currently only available in Catalan and Spanish. You can open it with Google Chrome and get a translated version of it by using the Google Translator extension.

Can I get credits if I take part in language courses or sport activities?

If you are a Bachelor student it is possible for you to obtain some credits after attending the activities of the UPC Sports Service or one of the language courses that are offered by the Language and Terminology Service upon presenting a certificate in the academic office at the end of the semester.

The number of credits will depend on the type and time load of the activity. UPC establishes 1 ECTS per 25 hours; for example, for a 100 hours course the student would obtain 4 ECTS, while a 80 hours course corresponds to 3 ECTS.

The maximum amount of credits for a specific language are 4 ECTS; therefore, a 150 h course of a single language corresponds to 4 ECTS as well.

Master students do not have this option given that it is not foreseen in the program’s curriculum.


How do I get to the faculty?

The FME is easily reachable by multiple means such as public transport, bike, foot or private vehicle. The underground stations of the L3 line Palau Reial or Zona Universitaria are both a 5-minute walk away from the faculty. There are also bus and tram stations nearby. The exact address of the faculty is C/Pau Gargallo 14, 08028 Barcelona.


Where can I get my student card?

The student card allows you entering to the university facilities that require identification. It will be waiting for you at the academic office.


What are the academic office opening hours?

You will find the timetable of the Academic Office and all the other facilities as well as the contact telephone and email here:


Is there any reprography service available for students on campus?

There is a photocopier in front of the Academic Office and another one in front the library in the first floor. You can send documents to the printer from any of the computers at the school. The printer will ask you for identification (you can identify with your credentials or with your student card), and then you will be asked to choose the documents you want to print. The printer requires credit to work, and it can be purchased at ETSEIB (the building in front of FME). You will find more information in the link below:

This page is currently only available in Catalan and Spanish. You can open it with Google Chrome and get a translated version of it by using the Google Translator extension.

How do I get my credentials to access Atenea?

Atenea is the virtual learning environment of the UPC to support face-to-face teaching. It allows accessing all the course materials, delivering work, checking your grades and communicating with the teacher and the other students.

You will receive an email within the first days of your stay with your credentials. With these, you will be able to access Atenea. All the required steps will be specified in the email. The usual structure of the username is name.surname.

Other doubts regarding legal procedures, TIE card/NIE number acquisition, orientation week, how to find accommodation, public transport tickets, approximate living costs and other matters related to student life in Barcelona.

Please contact the International Students Office (OMI) for any other doubts related to student life in Barcelona. It is located in the university’s Campus Nord, 15 minutes away from the FME by foot. In the link below you will find all the contact information (phone and email), as well as the address and office opening hours. In addition, the website displays a really complete set of information for incoming students, tackling all the above mentioned matters.


Other doubts regarding Bachelor's and Master's degrees.

The UPC has its own Frequently Asked Questions pages where you will find all the necessary information regarding enrolment, admissions, courses, assessment, financial aid, etc. in the Bachelor's and Master's dregrees. Find the links below.

Bachelor's FAQ:

Master's FAQ:


(Last update: 21/05/2020)